Forum List Message List Search
emergency communications using hs5
2023-08-01 20:19
has anyone thought of using hs5 for emergency communications similar to the hurricane watch net or during other natural disasters? using a 70cm frequency (434950) and a digital mode (bpsk125, 250, or higher) would provide fast data throughput for emergency and h/w traffic. thoughts?
Re: emergency communications using hs5
2023-08-23 22:18
I think your idea is excellent. I actually tried using HS to reach out to some people in Hawaii on the recent Maui fires. My granddaughter was over there, and I was trying to get help in verifying her status.

Kelly and team have put together a great product here. I'm sure many have thought of other situations where HS would be very handy.

Scott
2HS6735
KJ7VHV
Re: emergency communications using hs5
2023-09-22 20:41
i proposed this concept to the hs5 admins and here is there response:

N4MQQ
just something i would like to throw out. i am asking the HWN of they are planning on using this platform during the approaching hurricane. utilizing a digital mode, BPSK125 or higher, it would be efficient to pass emergency and h/w traffic. since 2 and 70 are not subject to the propagation algorithms would it be feasable to utilize a frequency in either of these bands to support the HWN or other emergency communications need? I would like to suggest 434950 even though the bandplan doesn't authorize digital modes on the 2 meter or 70 cm bands. thank you

david
n4mqq
Marcus (HS support)
Dear David (N4MQQ),

Thank you for your message and for bringing up an innovative idea that has the potential to add great value to emergency communications during critical times such as an approaching hurricane. Your suggestion to utilize a digital mode, particularly BPSK125 or higher, to pass emergency and h/w traffic is indeed insightful.

After internal discussions, we agree that this is a good initiative. Accordingly, we are happy to announce that we will reserve the frequency 434950 specifically for BPSK125 traffic for use during emergency situations like the one you have described.

However, as you pointed out, the current band plan does not authorize digital modes on the 2-meter or 70 cm bands. We will take the necessary steps to make a formal announcement about this temporary adjustment to the band plan, clearly outlining the guidelines and limitations.

We appreciate your proactive approach to enhancing the utility of HamSphere for the benefit of the community, particularly in times of emergency. If you or the HWN team need further assistance to implement this, please feel free to reach out to us.

Kind regards

Marcus Obermann
Certified Software Engineer (AWS, CSSLP, CSDP)
HamSphere Support

Date:
2023-09-22 06:36:24
Callsign:
Marcus (HS Support)

Thank you for reaching out again. I'm pleased to inform you that we are moving forward with your suggestion. You are now cleared to use the frequency 434950 specifically for BPSK125 traffic during emergency situations, as initially proposed.

We are also working on integrating this change into our next band plan update. Once completed, we will make a formal announcement to the HamSphere community about this special provision.

We appreciate your proactive approach and innovative ideas for using HamSphere as a valuable tool in emergency communications. If you have further questions or need additional support, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Marcus Obermann
Certified Software Engineer (AWS, CSSLP, CSDP)
HamSphere Support
https://hamsphere.com/support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

© HamSphere AB, All Right Reserved (62.138.11.31)